U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

branding: 'Branding' navigation_second: 'Navigation Second' footer_first: 'Footer First' footer: 'Primary Footer' footer_second: 'Footer Second'

How do I take action to resolve a Tentative Nonconfirmation (mismatch) that says “unable to confirm citizenship”?

If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen who received a mismatch and your employer gives you a Further Action Notice that states, “SSA is unable to confirm U.S. citizenship,” you will need to call DHS at 888-897-7781 (TTY: 877-875-6028) within eight federal government working days from the date your employer refers your case to confirm your status as a U.S. citizen and resolve this mismatch. Give DHS the following information:

  • The E-Verify Case Number from page 1 of the Further Action Notice; AND
  • Your Naturalization Certificate Number or Alien Number (A-Number).

If you do not have either of these numbers, you will need to visit an SSA field office with your proof of U.S. citizenship to correct your record and resolve this mismatch.

You received this mismatch because your SSA record needs to be updated. Even if you were able to resolve this mismatch by calling DHS, merely providing the information requested did not correct your SSA record. USCIS strongly encourages employees to update their records at an SSA field office. When you visit SSA, be sure to bring your naturalization certificate, U.S. passport, or other proof of U.S. citizenship so SSA can correct your records. Any document used to prove U.S. citizenship must be original; SSA cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of these documents. Locate a field office on the SSA’s locator webpage or call 800-772-1213 (TTY: 800-325-0778).

Related Resources

Social Security Administration Resumes E-Verify Operations

How do I take action to resolve a Tentative Nonconfirmation (mismatch) that says “unable to confirm citizenship”?
Last Updated Date: