U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

Official websites use .gov
A .gov website belongs to an official government organization in the United States.


Secure .gov websites use HTTPS
A lock () or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .gov website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.

branding: 'Branding' navigation_second: 'Navigation Second' footer_first: 'Footer First' footer: 'Primary Footer' footer_second: 'Footer Second'

How to Correct Your Immigration Record

A DHS Tentative Nonconfirmation (Mismatch) case result means that the information your employer entered in E-Verify from your Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, did not match records available to DHS.

After Resolving a DHS Tentative Nonconfirmation (Mismatch) Case Result

Once you have successfully resolved the DHS mismatch (by following the steps on your Further Action Notice), we suggest that you take additional steps to correct your immigration records. Correcting inaccuracies in your immigration records can prevent future DHS mismatches.

To correct your immigration records, use one of the following methods:

  • Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to correct your Form I-551, Lawful Permanent Resident Card or Form I-766, Employment authorization Document.

For additional information, you can use our many online tools including our virtual assistant, Emma. If you are not able to find the information you need online, you can reach out to the USCIS Contact Center by visiting uscis.gov/contactcenter.

Submit a Privacy Act amendment request in writing.

If you know the information that needs to be corrected in your record, you may submit a request to correct your USCIS records to the Freedom of Information Act/Privacy (FOIA/PA) Office at the following address:

Privacy Act Amendment
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
National Records Center
FOIA/PA Office
P.O. Box 648010
Lee’s Summit, MO 64064-8010

You may also choose to submit your request through the online FOIA request and response service.

If you do not know the information you need to correct, you may submit Form G-639, Freedom of Information/Privacy Act Request (PDF) to obtain copies of your records. This form is also available at your nearest USCIS office.

The Form G-639 is not required to submit your request. Instead, you may also send a letter that includes the information listed in Option 1. Make sure to mark the envelope “Privacy Act Request.” For more information, including where to send your request, see the How to File a FOIA/PA Request page.

  • Contact USCIS or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) to correct your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record.

If there is an error in your USCIS - issued Form I-94, contact the USCIS Contact Center.

If the error in your Form I-94 occurred when you entered the United States, you must have it corrected. Please visit CBP’s web pages on deferred inspection sites and ports of entry for more information.

  • Visit the links below for information on how to renew or replace your immigration documents see:

    Form I-94, Arrival Departure Record

    Form I-551, Lawful Permanent Resident Card

    Form I-766, Employment Authorization Document

  • Contact the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).

If you are a student or exchange visitor, go to the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) website to find information on how to update your records.

Last Updated Date: