E-Verify USER MANUAL
4.1 Close Case
To properly complete the E-Verify process, employers must close every case they create, except for cases that result in Employment Authorized, which E-Verify will automatically close. Follow the steps outlined in the Close Case – Process Overview.
CLOSE CASE – PROCESS OVERVIEW
IF THE CASE RESULT IS EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED:
- E-Verify automatically closes the case. See Section 4.2 Case Alerts and View/Search Cases for guidance on how to search for and view existing cases in E-Verify.
- Record the E-Verify Case Number on the employee’s Form I-9 or attach a copy of the case details page to the Form I-9.
- This completes the E-Verify process for this case.
IF THE CASE RESULT IS FINAL NONCONFIRMATION:
- Click Close Case.
- Select the statement indicating whether or not you will continue to employ this individual.
- If you select the option indicating you will continue to employee this individual, you must provide the reason why. Type the reason in the text box provided.
- If you select the option indicating that neither of the above applies and you are closing this case for a different reason, you must select the reason you are closing the case.
- If Other is selected as the reason, you must type the reason in the text box provided.
- After you’ve typed a reason, click Close Case.
- E-Verify displays an alert indicating the case was successfully closed.
- Record the E-Verify Case Number on the employee’s Form I-9, or click the link to View/Print Case Details and attach a copy of the case details page to the Form I-9.
- Click Create New Case to create a new case or click Continue to be redirected to view all your cases.
IF THE CASE RESULT IS CLOSE CASE AND RESUBMIT:
- Click Close and Create New Case.
- This case will be automatically closed and E-Verify will open a new case so you can enter the employee’s information from Form I-9 and create a new case.
- This completes the E-Verify process for the first case.
Every case created in E-Verify must be closed. Some E-Verify case results require employers to provide additional information. When prompted, select the most appropriate statement displayed and type additional information when requested. E-Verify only presents statements that are relevant to each case because not all of the case closure reasons apply to every situation.