3.3.2 CONFIRM EMPLOYEE DECISION
After the employee is notified of the TNC and decides whether to take action to resolve the case result, the employee should acknowledge the decision on the Further Action Notice. Employees who choose to take action on a TNC are referred to SSA and/or DHS. If a dual TNC is received, the employee will be referred to both SSA and DHS. Follow the steps outlined in the Confirm Employee Decision and Refer Case – Process Overview.
An employee who chooses to take action to resolve an SSA TNC must visit an SSA field office within 8 federal government working days to begin resolving the TNC. An employee who chooses to take action to resolve a DHS TNC must call DHS within 8 federal government working days to begin resolving the TNC. An employee who chooses to take action to resolve a dual TNC is only given 8 federal government work days to visit SSA and call DHS to begin resolving both TNCs. Federal government working days are Monday through Friday (except for federal holidays).
Give the employee the Referral Date Confirmation from E-Verify. The Referral Date Confirmation provides the date by which the employee must visit SSA and/or call DHS. The employee should bring the TNC Further Action Notice when he or she visits a SSA field office.
If the photos do not match during E-Verify photo matching, E-Verify will prompt the employer to upload copies of the employee’s photo document and the case may result in a TNC. When this happens, the employer must notify the employee of the TNC and allow the employee to choose whether to take action to resolve the TNC. If the employee decides to take action on the photo mismatch TNC, the employer must refer the case in E-Verify and the employee must contact DHS to begin resolving the TNC.
CONFIRM EMPLOYEE DECISION AND REFER CASE – PROCESS OVERVIEW
- Select the option indicating whether or not the employee will take action to resolve the TNC.
- Click Continue.
NOTE: If you indicate that the employee will take action to resolve the TNC, the employee’s has 8 federal government working days from when you click Continue to visit SSA and/or call DHS.
EMPLOYEE WILL TAKE ACTION TO RESOLVE TNC:
- Download and print the Referral Date Confirmation, attach a copy to the employee’s Form I-9, and provide the original to the employee.
- The Referral Date Confirmation downloads in English by default, but may also be downloaded in Spanish.
- To download/print in English, click Download Referral Date Confirmation.
- To download/print in Spanish, click the down-arrow next to English and select Spanish, then click Download Referral Date Confirmation.
- Click Continue.
NOTE: If the employee cannot read, you must read the Referral Date Confirmation to the employee. Provide employees who do not speak English as their primary language or have a limited ability to read or understand the English language, with a translated version of this confirmation in the appropriate language. Additional languages are available, in Other Resources under Resources/View Essential Resources in E-Verify.
IMPORTANT: If you determine information in the case is incorrect and the case should be closed, select the option indicating the employee will not take action. The case will receive a Final Nonconfirmation result and you will be prompted to close the case. Once you click Close Case, you may select an option indicating you are closing the case because information was entered incorrectly. Close the case only after E-Verify provides a final case result or if you no longer need to continue to confirm the employment eligibility of the employee.
IF EMPLOYEE WILL NOT TAKE ACTION TO RESOLVE THE TNC:
- Confirm that you selected the correct option.
- Click Continue to close the case.
- Click Cancel to return to the previous screen.
NOTE: If you click Continue to close the case, E-Verify displays an updated case status of Final Nonconfirmation.
- Click Close Case.
NOTE: See Section 4.1 Close Case – Process Overview for additional guidance on closing a case that received a Final Nonconfirmation result.
SSA and/or DHS have 10 federal government working days from the date the case was referred to update the case result in E Verify. Check E-Verify periodically for an update in the case result. A case referred to SSA or DHS is updated with one the following results:
- EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED, Section 3.1
- VERIFICATION IN PROCESS, Section 3.2
- CASE IN CONTINUANCE, Section 3.4
- CLOSE CASE AND RESUBMIT, Section 3.5
- FINAL NONCONFIRMATION, Section 3.6
Each case result requires different actions or steps to continue or close the case. These actions are outlined in the case result sections throughout this manual.
CONFIRM EMPLOYEE DECISION AND REFER CASE SUMMARY
- Take next steps in E-Verify based on the employee’s decision to take action or not regarding the TNC.
- If employee decides to take action, refer the case.
- If referred:
- Print the Referral Date Confirmation, provide it to the employee and attach a copy to the employee’s Form I-9
- Check E-Verify for case result updates and follow steps based on case result provided.
- If the employee decides not to take action, close the case.
- Take next steps based on decision to take action or not
- If referred, visit a SSA field office and/or contact DHS within 8 federal government working days and present the Further Action Notice and applicable original documents listed on the Further Action Notice
- Follow SSA or DHS instructions or next steps